Every day more, voice technology is becoming part of our daily life. We hear about voice aids such as Alexa, Siri, Google Now, Houndm, Cortana, etc., that have come to make our lives easier. However, adapting to the use of these tools is not easy, as it suggests making a change in the pre-established concepts about how things are done.
In the business field the issue is not different, the distribution centers have at their disposal multiple technological tools that require them to reinvent themselves. One example is Vocollect voice technology, which allows increasing productivity indicators, optimizing workflows, and reducing operating costs; although its implementation is easy, it demands an internal revision of the modus operandi.
Here is a list of the 5 best practices you should consider when linking Vocollect voice technology in your distribution center.
- Keep an open mind: Everything is possible, the willingness to change is the first thing you should evaluate in your work team. It is normal to think that technology alone will improve problems, however, you cannot expect something new and innovative to work on old and traditional concepts. Sometimes, it is necessary to redefine the processes to obtain all the benefits that voice technology offers.
- Apply mixed technology models: Do not marry a single technology. All companies are not equal; its processes, needs, ailments, everything changes from one sector to another, from one company to another and nobody has the last word. If in your operation, the use of voice technology brings you ample benefits, but some of your tasks are more responsive to the use of barcodes, combine them! In fact, the latest development of Vocollect A730 equipment allows validation by barcode without losing the fluidity in the instructions.
- Identify your key processes: Determine which of the processes of your operation are susceptible to an improvement in terms of response times and accuracy. Focus on the critical points, those that use more resources (e.g. time and staff) and implement voice technology progressively.
- Simplify the processes: It is important to define what information is relevant and essential in the validation process in order to minimize the number of words or responses that the operator must provide and thus obtain a considerable improvement in performance at the time of execute the tasks.
- Involve the team: The use of new technologies requires setting and preparation for employees. Train them and make them part of the process of change in such a way that, at the moment of beginning to work with the new tool, they feel familiar and comfortable.
Read also: Voice Technology, Performance Beyond Operation in Picking Tasks
Author: Cerca Technology